So I did a little project with EsriUK recently (don’t ask I can’t tell) but some of the outputs tested were fun and I thought I’d share….
Basically I took our London 3D Building data (based on CyberCity3D and Ordnance Survey OpenData plus some unique 3D assets created by me) and used Esri CityEngine to texture the buildings (the textures were sourced by my friends at EsriUK).
First I created a rule file to drape textures on our 3D data (imported from a file geodatabase / multipatch) and tested it in Esri CityEngine on a small section. Then I made the rule file a rule package that can be used in ArcGIS Pro. Then with the Features from CityEngine Rules GP tool I processed the mulitpatch data for London…. this allowed me to process a much larger dataset than Esri CityEngine would allow.
The results speak for themselves… a bit of fun for the festive season and yes all of these is still ‘accurate’ GIS data capable of being used in analysis (apart from perhaps the present boxes).
Did I mention that the baubles represent London Boroughs?
A topical visualisation today after I wondered whether I could do this whole flood map thing in 3D. What I’d really like to do next is have the rule file change the building colour as the water level rises… It can be done just not very nicely. It also demonstrates the real potential of CityEngine to become a responsive Geodesign tool.
Yes you can do this all in other packages but in CityEngine I can change the flood height variable and the model changes pretty much instantly (video to come). I’ve obviously done some pre processing work in ArcGIS to allow for it to work in CityEngine.
I’ve been working on the latest CyberCity3D London coverage today, using the terrain map we have and experimenting with the terrain colours. Sometimes a satellite imagery overlay on terrain in CityEngine just doesn’t seem to work…
Here are some screen shots from ArcGIS CityEngine and the Webscene viewer.
Combining data in CityEngine is really easy, take this example I’m working on at the moment:
I’ve taken an old georeferenced map of London and I placed real world current 3D urban data from the nice people at CyberCity3D. I’ve digitized one of the old barracks shown on the old map actually within CityEngine and run one of my generic office block rule files over it. I’ve also run a floor level split rule over some of the CyberCity3D data (in the bright green) this has much more potential than just colouring or texturing buildings and I’ll be looking at this in detail soon…
For landscaping I’ve used a palm grove rule file, obviously I need to model new trees for this model!
This is obviously experimenting with different types of data and different sources of data, I’m toying with the idea of doing a before and after 3D model of this area of London. Then I might use some futuristic models to have some fun with it!