UPDATE: I’ve added more images at the bottom of the page…
So I can’t really share with you everything about a project but I can share some of the screenshots. This is an urban renewal project we’re doing in Iraq. One of the issues with 3D is how to visualise proposals for clarity. My view is that “less is more”, try and make something photorealistic and people’s expectations of accuracy go through the roof, make the models more diagrammatic and you have the “it’s just a diagram” as an excuse for errors!
We’re providing a backdrop to some proposals for this project and it needs to look good but not the centre of attention. I’ve tried minimal textures and solid colours but somehow white looks a lot better. Working pre-existing rule files to this project’s specifications has been interesting it needs detail and yet I’ve chosen to make switch to make it all white.
One other trick I’ve used with this project is to provide a switch to demolish the central core of the city (as an option) and then we can switch on the new proposals. In SketchUp this would have been very awkward to do but here once the rule is written adaptations can be made quickly and the results instantly displayed.
One last thing I’d like to point out is that putting your model into the CityEngine web viewer is so easy and makes it look so good that we actually take screenshots from it to put in our reports!